- This event has passed.
Pinewood Derby Race – Grove
February 26, 2022
Pack 802’s Pinewood Derby will be held on Saturday, February 26th at Grove Presbyterian Church. Races will take place by den and then a final top 10 race will occur following the conclusion of all the other races. Dens will not need to be present for the entire day however if your scout makes the top 10, you are welcome to attend the final race. We will be determining the best way to reach families of the top 10 prior to the final race so that you have the opportunity to come back to attend. Scouts do not have to be present for their cars to race in any of the races since we are impounding the cars in advance but of course we hope you can be present for at least the den races. Scouts will not be permitted to take their cars home after the den race as they may qualify for the top 10 race which we will not know until ALL dens have raced.
Scheduled race times for derby day:
AOL den 10am
Webelos den 10:30am
Bear den 11am
Wolf den 11:30am
Tiger den 12pm
Lion den 12:30pm
Final Top 10 race 2:30pm
Please arrive no less than 15 minutes before your assigned den time. Scouts are welcome to watch the den ahead of them. Times are estimated so please be patient as times may need to be flexible.
Pre-registration to race is required to be completed by Tuesday, February 8th by using the sign-up below. All cars racing (scouts, siblings, adults) need to be pre-registered on this page.
All cars racing (scout, sibling, and adults) need to be checked-in on either Tuesday, February 15th or Tuesday, February 22nd at Grove during den meeting times. If you are unable to make one of these dates, you will need to make prior arrangements to get car(s) checked in. At check in, we will be weighing cars to ensure they are not over 5 ounces and applying graphite to wheels if desired.
We will be setting up the derby track on Tuesday, February 15th at Grove so that you can have an optional trial car run prior to the big race. This allows you to determine any potential issues the car has or if you’d like to modify it prior to turning in by the due date.
Besides top 3 in each den and top 5 overall, there will also be voting in various categories for additional awards such as Best in Show, Best Theme, and Most Creative, Most Patriotic, Most Unique Use of Materials, Best Paint Design, and Best Wood Carving. We will have voting online closer to event date once we have checked in all the cars with photos. Info to follow via email…
Pack 802’s Pinewood Derby Rules:
1. Build a car using the parts in the BSA “Official Cub Scout Grand Prix Pinewood Derby Kit” handed out by the Pack. Buying a pre-made car from the internet is not acceptable. You may use additional accessories and car components sold at the scout store and local retailers as long as they are labeled with the BSA logo. You must build a new car each year.
2. Car weight cannot exceed 5 ounces when weighed on the Pack scale on race day. There is no advantage for being less than 5oz so everyone should aim for that by adding weights to car. Weights can be purchased from various stores including The Scout Store, Michaels, Jo-Anns, etc.
3. Minimum bottom clearance (bottom of car to ground) is 3/8″ (including weights) to ensure clearance of the lane guides.
4. Gravity is the only propulsion source (no motors or CO2).
5. Powdered graphite is the only wheel lubrication allowed – cannot use liquid sources.
6. Car design cannot come to a sharp point at the front because it needs to rest on the pinewood derby track pin at start of race. When it comes to a tip in the front, it is difficult to maintain it’s position on the track and not slip off the pin which holds the car straight. A tip this is flattened (straight) will work as long as the car is symmetrical.
*There are no restrictions on trimming the wood block, polishing axles (nails), lubricating axles (graphite), drilling new axle holes or moving wheel base, sanding wheels, canting wheels, running on three wheels, adding decorations to car, etc.