- This event has passed.
Gunpowder Falls State Park – Camp Wood Camping Event
September 21, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - September 23, 2018 @ 7:00 am EDT
Overview: Please join us for our first fall camping trip of 2018 at Camp Wood, located in Gunpowder Falls State Park (Hereford Area). The Pack will be tent camping from Friday evening to Sunday morning but your family has the option to attend one night, both nights, or just for the day on Saturday. We will be providing dinner Friday, three meals and snacks on Saturday, and breakfast on Sunday. Cost is $5 for scouts and siblings per night, and $10 for adults per night.
- Friday Evening: Families may arrive at camp anytime on Friday evening but our target arrival time for the pack trailer is ~6:00pm. The parking lot is approximately 1/4 mile walk from the campground so we will be required to carry/wheel all of our equipment in. We have a couple of wagons available to help transport gear. We appreciate assistance unloading the trailer and setting up camp. We will plan to begin dinner as soon as camp is setup.
- Saturday Morning: We will plan to serve breakfast between 8:00-9:00 am. Following clean-up, the scouts will have an opportunity to learn and practice various scout skills including tent setup, knots, fire building, water purification, basic first aid, and plant/animal identification. We will perform these skills in small groups using a round-robin approach and will incorporate a few games to keep it fun.
- Saturday Afternoon: We will plan to cook and serve lunch between 12:00-1:00 pm. We will have a little down-time after lunch and will plan to start a hike around 2:00pm. We will complete an approximate 2-3 mile hike along the Gunpowder River. While not mandatory, scouts should get in the habit of having their six essentials with them whenever we are hiking. Six essentials include (water, trail food, sunscreen, whistle, first aid kit, and a light).
- Saturday Evening: Before dinner, we will have time for some group games at the campground. We will plan to cook and serve dinner around 6:00 pm. Following dinner we will have a campfire program which will include some songs, scout and leader skits, and other entertainment. We will also use this opportunity to hand out several special awards earned by our scouts over the summer.
- Sunday Morning: We will cook and serve breakfast between 8:00-9:00 am on Sunday. We plan to break camp shortly after breakfast on Sunday morning and appreciate assistance with cleanup and loading the trailer.
- Drinks: Water, kool-aid, coffee, and tea
- Friday dinner: Dutch oven pizza and salad
- Saturday breakfast: Dutch oven egg casserole, pancakes, sausage
- Saturday lunch: Peanut-butter and jelly, grilled cheese, turkey, chips and watermelon
- Saturday dinner: Hot dogs, burgers, beans, mac n cheese and green beans.
- Sunday breakfast: Pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon
- Desserts: S’mores, cobbler, dutch oven brownies
There are restrooms on-site with electric lights, flushing toilets, and potable water; however, there are no showers at this location. Your family may want to consider bringing wet wipes. Additionally, the campground is located about 1/4 mile from the parking area so all equipment must be carried or wheeled in. Finally, there is a possibility that some of the ground surrounding the campground will be soft because of the high level of rain we have experienced lately. We completed a site survey on Tuesday, 18 September, and there was some standing water in a few of the lowest areas. I’m hopeful that the water will be gone by Friday night but the ground may still be soft. Having a tarp or ground cloth under your tent can help to mitigate this.
Via I-83. From I-83N, take exit 27 to route 137 East (Mt. Caramel Rd). Proceed for about 1/2 mile and turn left on York Rd Northbound. After passing the Herford High School, turn left on Bunker Hill Rd. Bunker Hill Rd transitions from a paved road into a narrow dirt/gravel road so drive carefully. The campground parking lot is at the end of Bunker Hill Rd.
Via Fallston. From I-95S, take MD-152N (Mountain Rd) to Fallston. Turn left on Hess Rd and continue onto Monkton Rd. Turn right on York Rd. Northbound. After passing the Herford High School, turn left on Bunker Hill Rd. Bunker Hill Rd transitions from a paved road into a narrow dirt/gravel road so drive carefully. The campground parking lot is at the end of Bunker Hill Rd.
Google map directions from Aberdeen are provided below:
- Kim Elam
- Gunpowder State Park Camp Wood